Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Newly New York

"Onward and upward..." Willy Wonka once said.
 
Good morning! Having only been in New York since Monday, I'm still getting used to speed of living in Coney Island and working in Manhattan. I am thrilled to be starting my new journey in New York as a culinary student. Since moving here, I've experienced the haphazard driving of the locals, the need for cash and exact change, and the seemingly-infinite subway system.  I've also wandered over to Coney Island beach and amusement park and been equally amused and creeped out by the ambiance and some of the rides/games. (Check out my other blog for photos of the park).

The dinner my host family made was divine: barbequed hot dogs, chicken breasts, hamburgers, huge kaiser rolls, salad, and watermelon. Yum! The next morning, I reciprocated and made breakfast:


apples, sauteed in butter and cinnamon, to be mixed with oatmeal, sea salt and honey

One of my best adventures this week was making it from Coney Island to Manhattan (switching trains once and taking a bus) all by myself! Coming from the DC area, this was certainly a feat. Since I will be working as a freelance photo editor at The Food Network/Cooking Channel New York office, I went to Chelsea Market to meet up with the team. I loved the building! A former Nabisco factory, it is now filled with a walking market and offices upstairs. So beautiful!


I got a garden vegetable sandwich with chummus at Friedman's Lunch and stood at one of the cocktail tables, surrounding the support columns, to eat.
sandwich: toasted rye with chummus, romaine lettuce, tomato, carrot, avocado, sprouts, and cucumber
 
I went upstairs to the Food Network office and who did I see in the lobby? I'm about 100% sure it was Zac Posen! I met with the photo duo with whom I'll be working and they showed me around the place. I'm so excited to work there! 


Stay tuned on my other blog for updates, cool things, and photos from my life as a freelancer!

More adventures to come... Have a happy and relaxing Labor Day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment